conceptual overview?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon Jan 15 19:47:55 UTC 2007

If tracker goes down, no problem... clients will use another.  Then just
restart tracker later.  (or don't)

If storage node goes down, no problem... copies are elsewhere.  If two go
down and your replica count for any file class is only 2 copies, you may
have some files inaccessible until it comes back up.

If a database goes down, your cluster manager should bring another one
up... 5-15 seconds of downtime.  (we plan to add soon slave support, so
you can hang MySQL slaves off the HA master pair, so you at least have
readonly support for the 5-15 seconds while the HA master is switching...)

If all databases goes down, no readonly or rewrite abilities.  (unless the
application has cached the filename->URL mappings externally, as you
should do for hot files, avoiding the tracker altogether.... then you have
read-only access at least for hot files...)

If all databases catch on fire and you have no backups, you're largely
fucked.  You have files all over the network, but you don't know what
their filenames are.  It's akin to recovering an ext2/ext3 filesystem and
having a /lost+found/ directory full of every file in your filesystem.
There's a long-standing request to store filenames beside files on the
filesystem, to make repairs like this possible.  This hasn't been done.

As for configs:

DBs:  reliable storage subsystem.  battery-backed write-back cache
is nice, speeds commits.  big disk cache helps too, and lots of memory on
the machine for InnoDB is nice.  Get two, setup with heartbeat (Linux-HA).

Storage nodes:  Lots of SATA disks, one per mogile device.  3ware
controller or something is good.  Lot of memory helps the buffer cache.
Don't be tricked into seeing "7GB of memory free!" and thinking, "Oh, I
should run more stuff on this box!".  Because that 7GB of memory is being
used for file page cache, which makes Mogile effectively faster.

Trackers:  whatever.  Needs some CPU, but not much.  Run 'em on your first
few storage nodes (2's probably enough, 3 might be overkill....)

Any other questions?

- Brad