copy cmd proposal

John Berthels jjberthels at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:27:42 UTC 2007

On 09/11/2007, Andy Lo A Foe <andy.loafoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can md5 hash the content and use that as the key?

Yes, we detect candidates for merging via duplicate md5s.

> Most of what you want can be done with just a few lines of code in
> application space.. the I/O win would be pretty minimal, unless the majority
> of your opertations is copying files, in which case MogileFS might not even
> be the right solution anyway ;)

Yes, it does save some I/O, but I anticipate the bigger gain is
reduced latency when breaking a merge. Instead of having to copy the
file (potentially large, although edited files should in general be
small), mogile can split a replica and schedule the replication.

(You can't do this split+replicate in application space, can you? You
have to do the read/write loop?)

OK, I'm suggesting an optimisation without numbers to back me up,
which is a de facto losing position :-)

I'll come back if I can see there are some large files having their
replicas broken.

regards,

jb