Some questions about perlbal

Pedro Melo Cunha melo at isp.novis.pt
Sat Jan 29 10:05:01 PST 2005

Hi,

I got perlbal running on a small server for testing purposes. I have a
large mod_perl application that uses a lot of memory, and I'm testing
perlbal to put in front of this app, to try and reduce the number of
backends. I have some doubts:

  - is it possible to have perlbal listen to a single port but do
different things based on the virtual host?
  - is it possible to have perlbal treat locally a part of the
uri-space? For ex: all the /static/ url's can be send directly from
local disk without going to the backend. Do I have to use reproxy for
this?
  - any general ideias about how to tune performance? My first results
with ab where not that good (with perlbal, my site is 4 times slower in
terms of request per second.

With Perlbal:

ab -n 40000 -c 10 -k http://www.simplicidade.org/static/video/list.html
Server Software:        Apache/2.0.46
Server Hostname:        www.simplicidade.org
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /static/video/list.html
Document Length:        3253 bytes

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   151.502 seconds
Complete requests:      40000
Failed requests:        0
Broken pipe errors:     0
Keep-Alive requests:    0
Total transferred:      142160000 bytes
HTML transferred:       130120000 bytes
Time per request:       37.88 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       3.79 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          938.34 [Kbytes/sec] received

Without perlbal:
ab -n 40000 -c 10 -k http://www.simplicidade.org/static/video/list.html
Server Software:        Apache/2.0.46
Server Hostname:        www.simplicidade.org
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /static/video/list.html
Document Length:        3253 bytes

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   33.638 seconds
Complete requests:      40000
Failed requests:        0
Broken pipe errors:     0
Keep-Alive requests:    39611
Total transferred:      143629596 bytes
HTML transferred:       130126506 bytes
Time per request:       8.41 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       0.84 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          4269.86 [Kbytes/sec] received

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo Cunha - <melo at isp.novis.pt>
Novis Telecom, S.A. - Dir. Rede - ISP <http://www.novis.pt/>