Virtual hosts, existing apache and some more

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Mar 14 17:04:42 PST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 16:55, Harmen wrote:

> The backends do not use keepalive now, indeed. Does it differ from
> apache for the
> clients? Think the cost of a longer keepalive is almost none with
> Perlbal,
> but with Apache you need a whole child for each connection, right?

Right.

With perlbal you can keep your connections open to both the client and
to the backend without running out of them.

> Ask, have you got some Perlbal successstories to share?

I only use it for a couple of small hobby projects[1], but I'm very
happy with it there.

I'm planning to set it up with wackamole on search.cpan.org to load
balance and get HA between a couple of boxes.

  - ask

[1] http://metamark.net/ (~5-600k requests a day) and
http://geourl.org/ (<~200k requests/day).

--