sticky IP support?

Mark Smith marksmith at danga.com
Mon May 16 12:54:32 PDT 2005

> thanks for you reply. 1k rps doesn't seem like hell of a lot for dual
> xeon.?. though parsing of headers would take a lot of CPU. I don't
> really need to parse the headers, so turning this feature off shuold
> increase the performance greately, you think?

There's no way to turn off header parsing, as the headers are used to do
many of the things that Perlbal does.  It has to parse them.

Are you just looking for a straight up proxy that does no header
manipulation and no reverse proxying?  If so, you may want to look at Squid
or one of the other C proxies.

Perlbal is designed to be extensible (full plugin support) and flexible
(header management, reproxying, ...).  It's not designed to be as fast as
single-purpose proxies, because that's not the goal.

> that would be something that I have to have in order to consider
> perlbal. Btw, does it have support for taking care of not only http,
> but https as well?

For decoding the https requests?  No, it doesn't.  That'd be an even bigger
CPU hog and slow it down even more.  :-)

You should look into Pound.  You can run HTTPS requests into Pound, which
then decodes them to plain HTTP, and then you can have it pass the requests
into Perlbal.  The responses are reencoded by Pound, and that way the proxy
doesn't have to do anything with HTTPS requests.

You can have Pound insert an HTTP header, and then have your application
detect that to know if the request it's handling came in over a secure
channel.  The application can then change behavior appropriately.

--
Mark Smith
junior at danga.com