Limiting backend connections per node

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Wed Nov 16 12:27:22 PST 2005

Hey all,

I have gotten perlbal up and running without issue, so far. However, now
stands the daunting task of testing it out of and in production ;)

I see perlbal relies on the backend servers MaxClients (or similar)
setting to limit the number of accepting backend connections that each
server has.

This is an issue for me (at the moment), since 35+ of my backend
webservers were set up by hand, use different linux distros, have their
configs in different places, etc. I can't rebuild them for a couple more
weeks, so it'd be much easier if perlbal had a node option to limit the
max number of backend connections it will try to open to each
independent node. It would also make it much simpler to try different
maximums for the backend to see which is most efficient for throughput.
Otherwise (as far as I can tell) I have to change the config and grace
apache on 100+ machines, which even when done in parallel is a bit
obnoxious.

So uhh. Should I try hacking it in, does perlbal not work right with
this kind of setup, or what? :)

Thanks,
-Alan