About win32 port of perlbal

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 12:32:58 UTC 2006

Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Look at POE's SocketFactory and how they setup non-blocking on Win32.
> Basically IO::Handle::blocking doesn't seem to work, and you have to do
> some fancy ioctls.
>
> Feel free to put that in Danga::Socket, some util function to turn on/off
> that's more portable?

Hmm. Why doesn't IO::Socket do this? Lame.

I had actually tried to do the ioctl thing, but I got the last param
wrong. Seems it needs to be a reference to a scalar containing 1 rather
than just 1. Whatever.

Just checked in changes to make Perlbal minimally run on Windows. I
haven't yet got the test harness to run on Windows, so I've no idea
whether it's completely working. The generated makefile doesn't seem to
work on Windows at all right now, but I've not looked into why yet.

If you want to run it, just run perlbal straight out of the distribution
without make/make install and it should start up and run okay. Will have
to try to make it into a Windows service later, but I don't have
ActiveState's PDK handy to play with their PerlSvc tool.