Perlbal reproxied downloads stalling

Sam G ceptorial at comcast.net
Fri Sep 8 10:37:41 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have perlbal installed on a Centos 4.4 x64 dual Opteron server w/ 4GB
RAM, and am reproxying from a webserver to read files from a clustered
storage backend running Apache/DAV. When I do a reproxied download, things
seem to go well until a few megabytes into the file; then, the download
seems to slow down sharply then hang. It will happen at different parts of
the file, but the speed always starts out strong (500kb/s to 2mb/s,
depending on the connection I'm downloading from) but after 10 seconds or
so comes to a halt. Sometimes it'll slow way down, speed back up, but then
slow down again, finally hanging. This happens for virtually any large
file.

I've tried both 'ioaio' and 'none' for the aio_mode parameter (Linux::IO
won't pass tests), but same thing happens in both cases. I can pull from
the storage to the perlbal machine no problem with HTTP wget, at about 30
MB/s uninterrupted. As the reeproxied download happens, perlbal CPU usage
never goes above 1%. I have the default buffer settings; have tried
tweaking a little but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?