multiple perlbals

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Thu Jan 18 00:08:33 UTC 2007

We do this on LiveJournal (~10 perlbals fronting ~100 apaches...) without
problems.

Just set your service's max_backend_uses (which is normally 0, for
unlimited), to like 20-100, and then the Perlbals will give up their
connections periodically and give others chances to connect... eventually
(pretty quickly actually), they'll all balance out and have the same
number of backend connections.

Also keep backend_persist_cache reasonable... no more than your Apache's
MaxClients divided by your number of Perlbals, say.

- Brad