Perlbal with Mongrels

TJ Murphy TJ at freewebs.com
Tue Nov 6 00:05:53 UTC 2007

Using your patch, I did a little more digging.  Here's what I found:

Like you noted, Perlbal's verify_backend option defaults to doing an
HTTP OPTIONS request on the backend server at the path *

Mongrel doesn't like -any- request at the path *.  It throws an error
and doesn't respond.

When Perlbal doesn't get a response from the OPTIONS request, it goes
looking for another backend to use.  For my test setup I had only 1
backend, so it decided to reuse the same server.  It flooded Mongrel
with OPTIONS requests indefinitely.  It wasn't pretty.

Next, I set verify_backend_path to /.  Mongrel accepted this happily and
spit back a response as if it were an HTTP GET.

Unfortunately, I can't really afford to double the number of requests
I'm doing,  So I took it a step further.

I created a custom Mongrel handler insired by ErrCount, a fast cgi-style
counter in Rails (http://errtheblog.com/post/8444).  I set
verify_backend_path to /ctr and had the custom Mongrel handler listen on
/ctr.  All the handler does is pick up the request and spit out a blank
200 response (see attached).  It's fast.

To get this script working with a mongrel setup, just put the path to
the script in your mongrel_cluster.yml as config_script.   You can also
pass the script in on the command line using -S.

This setup has been running for over a week under really heavy load, and
it's holding up well.

-TJ