Perlbal as a vhost proxy

Matthew Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Thu Oct 4 14:29:47 UTC 2007

Apologizes if this has been discussed prior, I scanned the archives as
best I could.

I need to setup a reverse proxy entry point on a single IP address that
will proxy connections to backend systems based on the HTTP1.1 host
header.

Essentially, I'm trying to use a single public IP as a entry point to
sites that are not hosted on the same backend machine. To accomplish
this Perlbal would need to be able to do DNS lookups of the HOST header
and then reverse proxy to the result internal IP.

I've done this in the past with Squid, but I'm wondering if I can
accomplish it with Perlbal instead.

I'm very new to Perlbal, but if this isn't something it does
out-of-the-box, but can be implemented by way of a plugin I'd be
interested in writing it if someone can give me some pointers.

TIA

--
Matthew W. Pitts
Software Engineer