Perlbal crash

Anup Shukla anup at iamcool.net
Fri Oct 19 03:01:00 UTC 2007

Anup Shukla wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have been running 2 instances of Perlbal successfully for several
> months.
>
> However one of the instances has now suffered two crashes in a weeks time.
>
> The first crash was without any message in the logs.
>
> The second one (happened last night) has this in the logs:
>
> <log-snip>
> crash log: Negative length at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Danga/Socket.pm line 1133
> </log-snip>
>
> What do i need to check for?
>
> Any help/pointers appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards.
> A.S

Ha.. replying to my own mail ;-)

Now, i dont know much of Perl (as a matter of fact, not one bit)

But reading through Socket.pm

<snip>
# if this is too high, perl quits(!!).  reports on mailing lists
# don't seem to point to a universal answer.  5MB worked for some,
# crashed for others.  1MB works for more people.  let's go with 1MB
# for now.  :/
my $req_bytes = $bytes > 1048576 ? 1048576 : $bytes;

my $res = sysread($sock, $buf, $req_bytes, 0);
</snip>

Is it that $bytes (and as a result) $req_bytes is having a value < 0 and
thats causing sysread() to get crazy?

If yes, can i simply make $req_bytes = 0 if $bytes < 0 ?

I dont know if what i think makes sense.
Just a speculation.

Regards,
A.S