Undef client_ip ... in assign_client. Closing...

Brett Hoerner bretthoerner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:24:54 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Paul Baker <bakerp at google.com> wrote:
> Is this something I should be worried about?

Hmm, looks like it's from Danga::Socket::peer_ip_string (1301),

    return $self->{peer_ip} = Socket::inet_ntoa($iaddr);

>From http://perldoc.perl.org/Socket.html,

inet_aton HOSTNAME
Takes a string giving the name of a host, and translates that to an
opaque string (if programming in C, struct in_addr). Takes arguments
of both the 'rtfm.mit.edu' type and '18.181.0.24'. If the host name
cannot be resolved, returns undef. For multi-homed hosts (hosts with
more than one address), the first address found is returned.

I don't really know what it means when a socket connection has a
hostname that it can't resolve.  Or why the connection needs to be
closed in that case.  I'm no expert, but I thought any TCP connection
would need to know the literal IP to respond to, which is supplied in
the TCP packets.

Someone smarter will have to comment.

Brett