perlbal(reverse proxy role) timing out for slow 'reproxy' backends

Hemant Bist hemant_bist at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 06:02:08 UTC 2007

Hi, I have perlbal running in reverse proxy role. I have a case, where the
backend mod_perl servers redirect the the perlbal (via X-REPROXY-URL
header)  to a server that takes around 2 min to serve all the
data to the browser. I am consistenly getting timeout in less than min in
such case.

Changing the max_idle_time in ClientHTTPBase.pm to return 180 seems to fix
the problem for me. (But I am not sure if it also increases the timeout for
the persistent browser connections to 180 sec)

Is this a known bug/behaviour. Or something that I only I am noticing.

I see a patch from Justin to configure the timeout per service  in this
list(http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/perlbal/2007-June/000518.html).
 Is it to workaround this bug?

Thanx,
HB