Perlbal and CGI::remote_host returning 127.0.0.1

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Sep 26 08:53:28 UTC 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 21:04, Igor Chudov wrote:

> My question is, how do I make mod_perl and CGI module report actual
> remote host as $cgi->remote_host, as opposed to getting 127.0.0.1.

For Apache 2.2 I use this module:
	http://www.openinfo.co.uk/apache/index.html

In mod_perl (1.x) the following should work:

httpd.conf:
   PerlPostReadRequestHandler ProxyIP

And then put something similar to the ProxyIP::handler function in
your startup.pl:

    https://svn.develooper.com/combust/trunk/apache/conf/startup.pl

($config->proxyip_forwarders there returns a list of IPs, optionally
with netmasks or '*' to just allow everyone).

The Perl version here traverses all the "trusted" upstream proxies
and sets the IP to the first "untrusted" IP found - I forget if the
Apache module does that too.

  - ask