persist_backend and Apache config

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Wed Apr 2 15:30:41 UTC 2008

With Perlbal, use keep-alives everywhere!  Perlbal frontside, backside,
Apache frontside.

The reason that mod_perl docs say not to is because they you're limited to,
say, 50 total users to your site, even if 49 of them are just waiting 15
seconds to maybe ask for another page.

With Perlbal, Perlbal owns those 50 connections keep-alived, but keeps them
frickin' busy, and can deal with tens of thousands (or more) of idle
connections to real kept-alive clients waiting to send another request in
the future without TCP setup time.