my instance's performance.

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sat Apr 12 05:50:18 UTC 2008

I think you need to give your tests more FD's...  Can you give more
details on the actual test you're running? It's a little suspect that
you're running out of FD's during the test. Add more, try again.

Perlbal sucks a bit with benchmarks against a single backend.

So:

When a request comes in and a backend is necessary, perlbal will create
at most _one_ new outbound request to that backend. No other connections
will be opened until that one finishes.

With: verify_backend = on
... perlbal must open a connection, run an OPTIONS request, parse the
response, then send the queued request down the pipeline.

I'd recommend benching a few things across your different tests:

conns/sec with:
verify_backend = on
verify_backend = off
connect_ahead = something, I dunno. 100?

_requests_/sec with the same mix. Testers will often require a different
option to use client keepalives to reuse requests. perlbal saves a lot
of resources reusing existing connections.

Next, try with and without keepalives enabled on your actual backend
server. Double check that it's actually enabled and in use too.

Next, while running benchmarks, periodically check 'queues' and 'show
service whatever' to see if your requests are stacking up. You can also
check 'show backends' before/after tests. Blah blah blah.

Then use google about optimizing the kernel :)

Oi, I should spend some time this weekend beating on wiki's.

-Dormando