fair load balancing?

Moses Hohman moses at collaborativedrug.com
Fri Jun 20 18:18:40 UTC 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Ryan Woodrum wrote:

> I may be missing something, but at the last company I worked for
> (avvo.com),
> we did this exact thing.  As you burrow into the layers of proxying,
> we had n
> mongrel instances on the front-ends sitting behind perlbal.  We
> added a
> trivial OPTIONS handler to the rails application so that we could use
> verify_backend.  It has worked like a charm for quite some time with
> munin
> charts showing very even load balancing between all mongrel intsances.

Also, Ryan, just to make absolutely sure we're talking about the same
thing: what exactly do you mean by "even load balancing"? Also what do
you mean by "n mongrel instances on the front-ends sitting behind
perlbal", do you mean you have additional proxy load balancers behind
perlbal, and the mongrels were behind that second layer of load
balancing?

As an aside, did you write your own munin plugin to look at how evenly
balanced your mongrel pool was?

Moses