Optimize perlbal as reverse proxy.

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Thu Mar 20 07:49:56 UTC 2008

XS headers installed?

How about connect_ahead and persist_backend for the service?
max_backend_uses set high enough? Test the bench with persistent client
keepalives as well?

I can't even think of anything besides the above for optimizing it :)
Having connections be reused and installing XS headers cause huge drops
in CPU usage, but in general perlbal won't be that screaming fast
compared to a raw apache serving data out of cache. Part of the idea is
your backend servers probably can't keep up with it anyway, or you're
doing something complicated like serving files out of mogilefs and
really need the extra complexity. Also perlbals are easy/cheap to scale out.

-Dormando