OpenID anonymous for LJ?

Mark Rafn dagon at dagon.net
Fri Aug 5 13:42:52 PDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> If you walk down the street and somebody shows you their drivers license
> and says, "Hey, I'm Bob, and here's my proof", what does that really mean?

Not much more than "Hey, I'm BobGuy9987 on some livejournal that has no
content and you've never heard of."

> Maybe after you build a relationship you can start to trust them.

Agreed.  Ideally, this would apply to ANY id, including other LJ users.
Why I'd want a random just-registered LJ account to be able to post a
comment but not an OpenID user is what I don't understand.

> That said, there are a number of shortcomings in LiveJournal's OpenID
> consumer support, but it's roughly where it'll end up.

If you can add specific OpenID identities to friends lists and
comment-allowed lists, and have the same granularity for LJ accounts, this
seems ideal to me.
--
Mark Rafn    dagon at dagon.net    <http://www.dagon.net/>