OpenID anonymous for LJ?

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 04:52:31 PDT 2005

Michael 'hacker' Krelin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 12:17:15PM +0100, Martin Atkins wrote:
>
>>Michael 'hacker' Krelin wrote:
>>
>>>This is indeed a bit too lj-specific, but look, the point is not giving
>>>OpenID users more credibitily, it's just about separating them from
>>>anonymous users. And they are definitely different, otherwise what's the
>>>point of OpenID?
>>>

>>The point is that the person who commented last time is provably the
>>person who is commenting this time. If they make good comments you add
>>them to your "friends list", and they can prove that they are indeed the
>>person that you trusted earlier.
>

> Doesn't that imply treating OpenID users differently from anonymous
> ones? Or is there something in my paragraph above that you object?

They get treated differently in that you are able to add them as a
friend. Anonymous users don't have a userid, so you can't add them as a
friend.

OpenID users you've never seen before are just anonymous posters with an
identifier attached, though. It's up to each user to decide whether they
like/trust a given OpenID user.

What are we arguing about, again?