Better error messages maybe? :-)

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Sat Aug 13 12:57:39 PDT 2005

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Jeremy Smith wrote:

> The site you came from seems to want to verify an
> identity(http://jeremysmith.livejournal.com) that you, as jeremysmith,
> cannot provide.
>
> Now this is obviously not the case, so it would be nice if I had a
> better error message so I knew what the problem really was (bad
> association, etc?)

As Taral said, it's the trailing slash.

So the error message from LiveJournal, while vague, is accurate becase
LiveJournal won't assert identities that don't conform to the spec.
(which mentions the canonicalization process consumers must do on the URL)

> Also, should I not be using LJ to test this?  I.E. is there an OpenID
> server set up specifically for testing?  I don't want to cause any
> problems :-P

LiveJournal (server or consumer), or LifeWiki.net (consumer) or
openid.net/demo/ (consumer) all use the same Perl server/consumer
libraries, which are sort of the "reference implementation" which I hope
are totally correct.

Feel free to use any of them to test.

And if you find bugs in the Perl libraries, do let me know.

- Brad