values of Type

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Tue Dec 6 22:05:42 UTC 2005

Drummond,

I'm just looking through Andy's XDI slides from his presentation
yesterday that I unfortunately had to miss. A question arises.

One of his examples contains the following XML fragment.

<service>
	<type>authentication</type>
	<URL>http://www.idp.com/</URL>
	<mediaType>isso<mediaType>
<service>
<service>
	<type>photos</type>
	<URL>http://www.kodakgallery.com/AlbumMenu.jsp</URL>
	<mediaType>img<mediaType>
<service>

Which, apparently and not surprisingly, instantiates the same XML
format as we do in YADIS. However, it appears to me that there are
two significacnt distinctions in use:
  - YADIS assumes that the value of "type" is a URL, such as http://
lid.netmesh.org/sso/1.0
  - Andy's slides seem to assume that "mediaType" (not used in YADIS)
is a very substantial attribute that, in this use, seems to partially
overlap with what we use the URL for for YADIS purposes.

So ... this poses some or all of the following questions:
1) did I get it wrong?
2) does the current draft standards document prescribe one or the
other, and if so which?
3) if it doesn't prescribe one or the other, does the document need
to be tightened so interoperabilty is realistic?

Johannes Ernst