values of Type

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Wed Dec 7 07:16:11 UTC 2005

Sorry for the delay -- was out at my son's soccer tournament tonight.

Answers:

1) In the XRD schema, the Type element takes a value of type "anyURI".
However it is important to note that according to the W3C XML spec, this can
be either absolute or relative. So *technically* Andy's example is not
incorrect.

However I fully agree that Type values SHOULD be absolute in order to reduce
the potential for collision. So Andy's examples SHOULD have
"+authentication" and "+photos", as these are absolute XRIs. (Note that
these are equivalent to "xri://+authentication" and "xri://+photos", i.e.,
the "xri://" part is optional with absolute XRIs that start with global
context symbols (=, @, +, $, !. This was conscious design decision to
simplify human usability, e.g., to type a global XRI in an editor or address
bar only requires a single symbol character.)

2) The purpose of the MediaType element does not overlap with the purpose of
the Type element (and Andy's example of "isso" as a media type is incorrect
-- we're talking IANA-registered media types here, like "text",
"application/xml", etc.). In XRI resolution (and potentially for other
applications using XRDs), MediaType is just further metadata available to
describe the capabilities of a service endpoint.

Hope that helps.

=Drummond