OpenID in PHP

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Fri Jul 1 18:33:31 PDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 8:52 PM, meepbear * wrote:

>> Wordpress and Textpattern both are licensed under the GPL; suffice
>> it to say that I am a bit worried about this code being under a
>> license which is neither GPL-compatible, nor OSI-approved.
>>

> The only argument I'm aware of against the AFPL is that it doesn't
> allow someone to profit from someone else's work which is a
> perfectly valid restriction to place on code IMO.

I don't find that unreasonable either.  However, I am concerned that
that will hamper the adoption of OpenID by PHP web applications which
are licensed under the GPL.

Quoting from your consumer class's header:
  * Note that work derived (in full or in part) from this code will
have to be licensed under the
  * same license and can neither be released as public domain, or
other popular licenses such as GPL.

Now, perhaps I am misinterpreting something, but I would tend to
assume that that would block inclusion of the consumer class (and the
producer class, when released) in a GPLed program.

What, then, should developers of those programs do?  Wait for a clean-
room re-implementation of OpenID in PHP which can be incorporated in
projects licensed under the GPL?

Please understand that I appreciate the work you've done, and I do
understand your desire to protect it appropriately, but at the same
time I would like to see OpenID adopted by the greatest number of web
frameworks and applications possible.

-Kurt