Version Handling [ was OpenID status update ]

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 15:15:35 PDT 2005

Paul Crowley wrote:
> In the end, if we want to introduce totally incompatible protocol
> changes, we can always tack a version number on to the openid.mode
> parameter.  Any client or server that gets a request or response with an
> unrecognised openid.mode is going to reject it appropriately.

As soon as there is a totally incompatible protocol change, we might as
well throw in the towel. If a new version breaks old servers/consumers,
then it might as well not be OpenID anymore.

It's far more likely that future changes will be implied by new
parameters. I see no value in allowing for a case which breaks
everything anyway.