Wikimedia (Wikipedia) single sign-on

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jun 21 16:12:06 PDT 2005

Jean-Luc Delatre wrote:
> "The discussed model is different from Brion's original proposal insofar
> as local user accounts will stop working after the migration date."
>
> That may be a single signon with respect to different consumers but this
> is not a distributed system anymore!
> Enforcing a single namespace for user names (proper) makes things easier
> for implementors but completely defeats the goals of OpenID (as far as I
> understand them!)

Well, it's not related to OpenID to begin with. ;)

It would be interesting to support OpenID to allow off-site account
verification for visitors from another wiki (as an OpenID consumer) and
to allow such for our accounts on other site supporting OpenID (as an
OpenID producer), but that has no real bearing on our *internal*
username space, which will almost certainly *not* be based on, using, or
related to OpenID.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)