International Domain Names

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon Jun 27 20:49:37 PDT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
> > So it'd look like:
> >
> >   brad [livej!=o!urnal.com]
> >
> > To indicate that the "o" was in a different Unicode range than the "j"
> > and/or "u".
> >
> > So it does that without penalizing real non-abusive IDNs.
>
> How does that work for my domain:
>
> http://www.xn--askbjrnhansen-fnb.com / http://www.askbjørnhansen.com/
>
> ?

ø is in Latin-1 (Supplment), so it's fine.

But even within the same Unicode range, I'm sure some characters will
be singled out as malicious.

I'd imagine the project will be like those never-complete HTML sanitizing
libraries, where it just keeps getting better over time as new rules are
added.

- Brad