decoupling from HTML

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:37:49 PDT 2005

Oooh... that is definitely something that should be reopened and evaluated
to determine a solution that covers not only HTML/XHTML but, as mentioned,
common data feed formats + SVG, XUL, XAML, and/or any other XML format which
in quite a short space of time will be seen more and more as the default
markup (and as such, namespace) for a variety of "pages" served up by
default when a particular framework (e.g. XAML) is known to be available on
the client. In fact when you download and install the latest Indigo/Avalon
WinFX beta release you are given the option to set IIS 6.0 to render the
XAML version of a particular page when the client is capable and the server
contains the proper xaml page in the directory requested by this client.

I realize that the page that is contained at the specified location does
little more than act as a way to locate the proper validation information
and as such can be HTML/XHTML without effecting the rest of the applications
contained on that particular server. But there are enough justifiable
reasons (technical and marketing) for a web server to be allowed to only
serve, for example, RSS and Atom data feeds, that I believe this will become
fairly common place in a fairly short period of time. In fact services like
FeedBurner already allow the ability to host and serve up your data feeds
and as such the requirement to actually have a public site doesnt exist,
instead using a simple tool to create and post your entries directly to
FeedBurner for publication.

What then?

--
<M:D/>