OpenID & LID

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Tue Jun 28 13:53:18 PDT 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Johannes Ernst wrote:

> Any reason you didn't list LID on your comparison with other systems
> page? Would you like to? ;-)

Done:  http://openid.net/

Text, for the record:

LID -- Assumes that identity URLs are dynamic documents that can handle
fancy URL parameters. No true in real life, which is key for adoption.
Also combines too much functionality (authentication + profile exchange)
into one spec, which in turn increases the number of dependencies required
for a site to implement LID (XPath, etc.) I believe profile exchange
should be a separate component/step built on top of authentication, not
coupled with it. (yes, the LID people are now working on decoupling this,
but it wasn't done when I looked at it.) It's possible we might use LID as
one of our recommended profile exchange mechanisms in the future, but the
spec as a whole was too heavy.

- Brad