Sharing Profile Information

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:56:54 PDT 2005

I agree David. This is without a doubt a system that will quickly rid itself
of those who bend too often, stretch too far, or purposely will ill intent
break the moral code that, if not literally specified as part of the
specification, we all obviously know they exist and when they've been
broken. With the added element of having the ability to deligate to a new
verification server then the concern of "losing one identity" goes away
(who's specific idea/addition was this one... Genius. Shear and Remarkable
Genius!).

With this in place the offenders will have no where to run and with options
as to "where to validate now?" then this opens the possibility that one can
realistically feel confident in sharing personal information in confidence
to then share it with those you choose and only those you choose.

This also brings us back to the possible usage of the
openid.name<http://openid.name>domain to be used for a variety of
purposes, one of them could be as an
interface to develop, update, and add or change permissions. If I remember
correctly the concern with the usage of this domain was the connection to
the openid identity when the focus of the project was to discourage anything
that remotely resembled this scenario. But if a delegate became a required
aspect of anyone using this domain to create an identity to act as a
delegate as well as to securely manage your FOAF profile then it seems the
original concerns are easily overcome.

If the domain were transfered to Brad or whomever is overseeing the .org
side of things and then those who had interest in hosting an instance of
this domain simply requested a thrid-tier domain (e.g.
cxml.openid.name/user<http://cxml.openid.name/user>for members of the
ChannelXML project) and, if available, would be given
usage of this domain as long as they agreed to a much more strict set of
guidelines such as those specific to the abuse of a users FOAF file,
etc....)

At present time I had plans to simply use this domain as a demonstration
server where potential "customers" could register temporary user names to
then use throughout the system to test things to see how and if it works to
then list all available service providers in which they could gain service
from if they were to "like what they saw".

Again, I simply want to help promote this project and I believe this is one
way that could really do a great job of that. But if this is still seen as
something that gains no real benefit while causing too much confusion then I
have no plans to push this any further... Just want to help where and if I
can :D

Cheers :)

--
<M:D/>