URL relationship permanence

meepbear * meepbear at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:00:57 PDT 2005

Sorry for the thread hijack but since everyone's debating URLs, could
someone enlighten me what a consumer is supposed to show as someone's OpenID
url in the following chain:

http://tinyurl.com/something/ (302-redirect to)
http://mysite.com/ (openid.delegate as)
http://livejournal.com/users/someone (302-redirect to)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/someone/

I'm inclined to pick the second as the user URL and the spec would agree,
but I think it was more intended for the situation of URL 3 becoming URL 4.
Everyone realizes that three and four are identical, but that's not going to
be true for 1 becoming 2.

I'm not advocating picking 1 as the URL, but I would like to know how the
consumer is supposed to handle it? If it does nothing and the user is
posting a comment, then they will be wondering why it's showing their domain
and not the tinyurl as they had intended; or the consumer does an extra
check and returns an error if the redirection moves to a different domain
(livejournal.com <-> www.livejournal.com is fine, tinyurl.com -> mysite.com
is not).