Non-HTML Links

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed May 18 12:10:04 PDT 2005

Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> WTF was I smoking?  If one fails because the server's down, we don't know
> how to fall back to the next, since we never got notified that it was
> down.  The user's browser did.
>
> Okay, one identity server!

Failing to multiple servers wasn't the point. The idea was that
consumers might have an identity server whitelist or blacklist, so a
user can assert multiple servers in the hope that one will be used. As I
mentioned before, the common case is that the consumer will have no
prejucide and will just pick any one. (probably the first)

Some measure of fallback could be provided by having the helper pick one
at random so that a different one is picked each time the user hits the
login button, but that's so unlikely to happen it doesn't seem worth
worrying about as a spec requirement.