Comment tracking

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu May 19 12:05:33 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:39:59AM -0700, Christopher Whipple wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Had an idea this morning for builing comment tracking features into
> publishing platforms piggybacking on OpenID functionality.  Here's how it'd
> work:
>
> I use my blog url to authenticate - the someblog.com server checks my blog
> and pings my OpenID server.  I'm authenticated and leave my comment.  The
> someblog.com server then checks my blog again to find a url where my blog
> accepts incoming pings, sends a ping saying "you just left a comment here,
> here's the comment's permalink and here's some info about the blog where you
> left the comment".  My blogging tool then takes care of tracking/displaying
> that information.
>
> Thoughts?

Not sure how I see that OpenID is an inherent part of this. For the most
part, tools up until this point have assumed that the "Address" that
most servers ask for is actually an accurate representation. Wordpress
has the concept of "Pingback", which is similar to what you describe,
although not for comments.

Is there something specific about OpenID that makes this more
likely/possible?

--
Christopher Schmidt