Length of Identity URL

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue May 24 10:00:38 PDT 2005

I'm currently working on a simple OpenID consumer app as a test, and
have as a result created a database table to retain known users and
their profile information.

I'm allocating a 50-character VARCHAR field for storing the Identity
URL, but it occurs to me that a URL can theoretically be of any length.

I think then that the spec should give a recommended maximum URL length
after which consumers are allowed to reject the URL. Users who try to
assert longer URLs must then be prepared for it to fail in some cases.

I just picked 50 arbitrarily. I welcome discussion on what a good value
would be. Currently we've only LiveJournal's URLs to work with as an
example, and these have a maximum length of 39 characters. The
modestly-named GreatestJournal could theoretically push that up to 43 if
it upgrades to support OpenID. (I'm assuming storing the URL in
canonical form with a 15-character username)