Fwd: Length of Identity URL

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Tue May 24 10:24:28 PDT 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Martin Atkins wrote:

> I'm currently working on a simple OpenID consumer app as a test, and
> have as a result created a database table to retain known users and
> their profile information.
>
> I'm allocating a 50-character VARCHAR field for storing the Identity
> URL, but it occurs to me that a URL can theoretically be of any
> length.
>
> I think then that the spec should give a recommended maximum URL
> length after which consumers are allowed to reject the URL. Users who
> try to assert longer URLs must then be prepared for it to fail in some
> cases.
>
> I just picked 50 arbitrarily. I welcome discussion on what a good
> value would be. Currently we've only LiveJournal's URLs to work with
> as an example, and these have a maximum length of 39 characters. The
> modestly-named GreatestJournal could theoretically push that up to 43
> if it upgrades to support OpenID. (I'm assuming storing the URL in
> canonical form with a 15-character username)

Actually this is a standard subplot in these redirection ping pong
protocols.  Someplace in the spec you want to say that all URLs used in
the spec are 256 characters or less  .  I seem to recall that there is
a widely deployed Japanese phone that can't support that, but the 256 #
is what the Liberty settled on after much talk and research (see:
http://xrl.us/f7o3 and variations).  Then you can start budgeting and
allocating that 256 to various arguments passed in the URLs.  Soon
after that you start thinking that parameter names like
openid.is_identity should be more mnemonic.

No matter what don't go over 2K because that's the IE limit. :-)

----
http://enthusiasm.cozy.org   http://gibbon.cozy.org
tel:+1-781-240-2221
  I forecast sunny weather!