silly classic path

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Tue May 24 17:55:35 PDT 2005

After talking to Randy,

Another way (that's always upwards compatible) is to add an openid.mode
argument on the initial request (the one with is_identity) that's either:

  openid.mode = idcheck_immediate
  openid.mode = idcheck_setup

(There's currently no mode parameter specified there)

The implied default being "idcheck_immediate".  The immediate mode would
do what things currently do:  redirect to return_to with either the
assertion signature or the user_setup_url.

The idcheck_setup mode, on the other hand, would signal that's it's okay
for the identity server to take control of the user for awhile, bouncing
them around its own pages for awhile if needed, and then finally return
them to the return_to URL.

Classic mode would use idcheck_setup.  AJAX mode with an iframe would use
idcheck_immediate, in which case the consumer can augment
the server-supplied user_setup_url with either openid.post_grant having
value "return" or "close" (or nothing).

I'm liking this.  Any objections?

- Brad