Dealing with renames

Mark Smith marksmith at danga.com
Mon May 30 14:07:40 PDT 2005

I profess early my ignorance of many of the nuances of security.

However, does this matter?  The problem is that the server is
authenticating someone, but if the user changes (as in the case on LJ when
someone renames their account to a previous account that might have been
used at some consumer), right?  So, two different people are identified to
own the same URL.

One of the design goals of OpenID is that you're simply proving "does the
person with this browser at this moment control this URL."

Putting in any sort of state information, while useful, is not going to
fix the underlying problem.  If someone gains control over a URL (and
presumeably the server) then they can pass through any sort of unique ID
and verify anything.  (Of course, assuming they know what hash was being
used originally, which I can't imagine would be hard to find out if you've
managed to take over someone's URL.)

Anyway, my point is that I don't think this will fix the problem entirely,
but should instead be an optional addition that helps to improve security.

If it's kept at that level -- so the consumers aren't required to store
state information, which might overly complicate some uses of the protocol
-- then I think it's a good idea and would like to lend my support.

-jr