User @ domain.tld as ID (Once again)

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 07:39:48 PST 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:

> * "OpenID is based on URLs, therefore using email addresses makes no sense"
>
>   This isn't an answer. It's circular logic and convinces no-one.

This is an over-simplification of the argument.

The actual argument is that OpenID is based around HTTP which is in turn
based on URLs. Therefore OpenID is fundamentally bound to URLs at this
level.

> * "Even with a mapping function, it won't work for everybody"
>
>   Why not? If you can use both email address and URL I don't see why it
>   wouldn't

So you think having two kinds of identifier will be more intuitive than
standardising on one?

"YADIS identities look a bit like email addresses, but they aren't
really email addresses. Also, sometimes they don't look like email
addresses at all."