The reliance on Content-type

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 10:17:54 PST 2005

David Recordon wrote:
> I think that sounds reasonable and doesn't complicate things that much.
> Would it also make sense to say for the result of the first fetch if you
> can't parse it as an HTML document, at the choice of the consumer if
> they wish to expend the energy, try parsing it as an XML document?

I think it's a good idea to keep the normal, non-indirection case as
simple as possible. It'll only be used by people who know what they're
doing, so we can make it as easy for consumers as possible.

In the long term, I hope the number of users with "hosted" identities
done directly will massively dwarf the small number of do-it-yourselfers
using HTML indirection, so most YADIS requests will go through the much
simpler and more efficient direct path.