Announcing YADIS...again

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Fri Oct 28 20:00:23 PDT 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 10:50 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Whoa, whoa, confusion, everybody....
>
> YADIS is not an identity/auth protocol at all.  It's just a capability
> discovery protocol.  In practice it'll say "I only do OpenID" or "I do
> LID" or "I do OpenID and Sxip" or "I do LID and Foo."

Okay.  Thanks for clearing this up.  That causes this to make a fair
bit more sense.

> It's a hacky solution until more work is done in the identity
> space, but a
> very needed one.  The idea of YADIS was incredibly well received by
> nearly
> everybody at the 2005 Internet Identity Workshop this week.  We may
> end up
> using XRI's XRID stuff for capability payloads (which are pretty much
> identical to the mock example YADIS ones), but /something/ will
> happen.
>
> While all the identity players are trying to figure this stuff out, we
> need to at least announce what rules we're playing by.
>
> As far as OpenID and LID go, that's entirely outside YADIS, but
> version
> 2.0 of either OpenID or LID (or what their new name together is) will
> require something like YADIS to exist for consumers (aka "relying
> parties,
> membersites") to cope well.
>
> More than likely OpenID and LID will merge but will have a bunch of
> optional components.  In the bare most minimal state, supporting no
> capabilities except OpenID auth, it'll be exactly OpenID 1.0 as it is
> today.

Great.  This is exactly what I was looking for--some way to preserve
the simplicity of OpenID as it stands today for those applications
that don't need anything more than that.

> As for Six Apart sprinkling buzzwords to sell identity solutions or
> whatever that rubbish I heard was:  false.  Six Apart didn't write
> that
> document... NetMesh (Johannes of LID) did.  So blame him.  :-)

Okay.  My apologies for having made that statement in the first
place.  The initial announcement to the list came from @sixapart.com,
and the conspiracy theorist in me took it from there.  Again, my
apologies.  I look forward to seeing the future of YADIS.

Thanks for clearing things up.

-Kurt