OpenID 1.2 Extensions Proposal

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Wed Apr 5 03:19:11 UTC 2006

So overall I think this looks good.  I think it is important in the
OpenID spec to define how we deal with extensions and YADIS for the
sake of being clear.  As Simple Registration showed, it is already
possible to create extensions to OpenID with the current 1.1 spec.

So, from my understanding, 1.2 should do three things:
1) Formalize additional openid.* fields in a consumer's request and
server's response (should be easy to base off of SREG)
2) Explain what an OpenID service block looks like in a YADIS
discovery file
3) Replace OpenID discovery and delegation with YADIS, though
preserve the recommendation of backwards compatibility

This sound right?  Seems like you guys have hit 1 and 2 so we just
need to deal with 3.  Want to make sure people agree this is the
correct scope for a 1.2 spec first though.

Thanks for working on this,
--David