When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

Keith Howe nezroy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 20:24:29 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Johannes Ernst <jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us> wrote:
> Do these URLs:
>     http://example.com/joe
>     http://example.com:80/joe
> represent the same identity?

I say yes. Not only from a practical standpoint, but also a technical
one. My interpretation of the HTTP spec is that this is a perfectly
valid translation to make, based on the following:

>From 3.2.2, regarding URLs: If the port is empty or not given, port 80
is assumed.

>From 14.23, regarding the Host header: A "host" without any trailing
port information implies the default port for the service requested
(e.g., "80" for an HTTP URL)

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

To me, this is no different than assuming that the identity
"http://joe.example.com" and "http://joe.example.com/" are identical.
The trailing slash, identifying the root path as part of the identity,
is optional and assumed.

(Helps to actually send this to the list address :)

- K.Howe