Implemented OpenID... why?

Thom McGrath lists at thezaz.com
Sat Apr 29 02:42:18 UTC 2006

I just completed implementation of an OpenID server (this is home-
grown, not a standard library). This was hard without a good tutorial
and whatnot, but besides the point. I'm also planning on creating the
consumer end. But then I ran into a logic issue: why?

Since OpenID doesn't appear to share any user information at all, why
on earth am I doing this. If I want to allow people to login to my
site via OpenID, I still need to ask them for all the standard
registration info, like name and e-mail. That seems very... useless.

 From openid.net: "There's no profile exchange component at all: your
profiile is your identity URL, but recipients of your identity can
then learn more about you from any public, semantically interesting
documents linked thereunder (FOAF, RSS, Atom, vCARD, etc.)."

Is there a defined API for second call for data, or are we on our own
for that one? I mean, OpenID seems like a fantastic idea and
implementation, but the process of actually *getting* to a user's
data seems to be completely undefined. Am I wrong?

--
Thom McGrath, <http://www.thezaz.com/>
"You realize you've created God in your own image when God hates all