Implemented OpenID... why?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Sat Apr 29 18:13:22 UTC 2006

You're on your own.

OpenID is meant to be the simplest possible way to do authentication.  You
have to do authorization and any profile gathering/etc.  The Perl modules
for OpenID do a lot of that profile gather for you, but usually I find
myself only needing authn.

The problem with profile exchange is there are fifty efforts to define the
"best way", so OpenID is stepping back and letting everybody figure that
one out.  :-)  That said, there are OpenID proposals on how to do it as a
proper/clean OpenID optional extension.  Look at JanRain's stuff.

- Brad