How do we know whether a service URI is available (related question)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Thu Aug 24 02:38:17 UTC 2006

It's reasonably straightforward to determine whether a service URI is
available for things like server-to-server communication, e.g. by
setting a timeout.

But what about the redirect operations? Let's say there are two
service URIs for a given identifier, one with a higher priority than
the other. A few days after having negotiating a shared secret,
server 1 goes down. Upon an attempted authentication, the relying
party will be blissfully unaware of the unavailability of that URL
and redirect the user to a URL that doesn't work, leading to a 404 or
500 or even "server not found" exception in the browser.

Is there something more intelligent that we can do? [I'm thinking of
the very confused user who has no idea about redirects and SSO etc.
etc.]

What about a very efficient ping prior to redirect from the RP to the
service URI?

Or do I see a problem where there isn't one?

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.