Talking points

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Sat Feb 18 03:24:15 UTC 2006

On 17-Feb-06, at 9:57 AM, Dag Arneson wrote:

>>>   * With YADIS, you don't have to wait for further convergence.
>>>     Implement now.  Should be forward-compatible with future specs.
>> I would disagree with this.
>> I think there is some convergence on this list of people that see
>> the  same part of the elephant, but there are lots of other parts
>> of the  elephant IMO that are incompatible with directions here in
>> YADIS.
>
> I thought your concerns were mainly to do with the YADIS protocol
> itself, not with the scope of what we are trying to do.  What are
> we missing, and what's wrong with finding a niche on the elephant's
> trunk and leaving the rest of the elephant for some other time?

Great goal to solve part of a problem. It is critical though to have
a big picture view or you end up trying to attach a garden hose to
the front of an elephant.

OpenID, LID and XRI are all "Pull" oriented architectures. In my
discussions, I have not felt there was interest in learning the
issues of a "Push" oriented architecture.

I'll spend some time reviewing the latest docs again and provide more
specific feedback if people are interested.

-- Dick