priority theory

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 08:32:47 UTC 2006

Joaquin Miller wrote:

>> a higher priority is represented by a lower number
>

> as in:  first priority, second priority, ...

> Ms. Bones:  What is your first priority?
>
> Miss Interlocutor:  My highest priority is taking care of myself.
> (First put on your oxygen mask, then assist those around you.)

In that case, then, I personally would have called it "preference"
rather than "priority" and have higher numbers mean a higher preference.

...but I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as this quirk is made
very obvious in our spec for the benefit of those who don't bother to
read the real XRD spec! I've been watching discussion on this for a few
weeks now and this was the first time I actually noticed that the
priority numbers are backwards, since it wasn't really something I
thought about until I saw Josh's example and thought "Huh?!".