multiple URI elements per Service in XRDs

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Thu Jan 19 14:46:47 UTC 2006

First, Johannes, as Kevin pointed out, I corrected most of the instances of
"XRD" in your message below to "Service".

Second, I just want to make sure that the proposed general processing rules
for XRD/Service elements and their child XRD/Service/URI elements are clear.

1) First you select the highest priority Service element of the type you
want (i.e., whose XRD/Service/Type element contains the URI (or XRI in
URI-normal form) of the type your are looking for.)

2) Then you select the highest priority XRD/Service/URI element within that
Service and use that URI.

3) If that URI fails, and there is >1 child XRD/Service/URI element of the
selected XRD/Service element, you can optionally try the next highest
priority XRD/Service/URI child element. That process repeats until you run
out of XRD/Service/URI child elements for that Service.

4) If THAT fails, and there is >1 XRD/Service element of the Type that you
want, you can optionally switch to the next highest priority XRD/Service
element, and start again from step 2.

Now, having explained that, let me clarify a few things:

1) Those proposed processing rules for XRD subelements (specifically
XRD/Service and XRD/Service/URI) are the general rules suggested and
followed by the XRI resolution spec. Another spec/protocol that uses XRDS
can set it own rules. For example, YADIS could say that all but the first
XRD/Service/URI child element will be ignored.

2) That said, the rationale for allowing more than one XRD/Service/URI child
element of XRD/Service followed exactly the same design as DNS: you can have
more than one and set their priority, and if you don't set their priority,
it's automatic round robin. The XRI TC discussed this at some length and
decided there were good reasons to do this at the XRI layer just as at the
DNS layer. If, in practice, a site has already implemented load balancing or
redundancy using DNS round robin or IP balancing, they won't need to publish
more than one URI for a service and thus won't need this mechanism...

3) ...UNLESS they need the second key reason the XRI TC decided to allow
more than one XRD/Service/URI element: they want to expose a service via
more than one protocol (classic example: http and https.)

Could all this be done by restricting XRD/Service to having only one
XRD/Service/URI child element and forcing XRD authors to insert multiple
XRD/Service elements of the same type if they want to offer more than one
URI? Yes. But that forces data duplication within an XRD, as well as forcing
a particular point of view about implementation/optimization, neither of
which we felt was a good practice.

I hope that helps answer your question. If not, fire back and we'll make
sure we do.

Best,

=Drummond