that ess in 'https'

Jonathan Daugherty cygnus at janrain.com
Tue Jun 27 21:38:40 UTC 2006

# Might I suggest that this decision is best left to RFC 3986, which
# lays out clearly normalization rules for URIs.  Doing otherwise, I
# think, will lead to madness and mayhem.  If implementations
# presently do not support this, than it's a problem with the
# implementation, I think, and should be fixed there, not grafted into
# a specification.

The decision we're talking about isn't whether two URLs are equivalent
in general, but whether they are the same identifier; and that is
still an application- or protocol-level decision.  I haven't claimed
that two URLs are equivalent even if they differ only by scheme.

--
  Jonathan Daugherty
  JanRain, Inc.